Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Noticings and Wonderings

I've been in a professional development workshop for a couple of days where we were supposed to have "noticings" and "wonderings." (Yes, I know those aren't real words!) Here are a few of my noticings and wonderings about the end of the school year clean up.
I notice that these posters have been hanging on my walls for more than 20 years now. They were actually put up by the teacher who had the room before me and this is my 20th year in room B-219.

I wonder why THIS YEAR I have to take them down. Is cleaning the walls on a 20 year rotation? If I put up new posters when school starts can I count on leaving them up for the next 20 years when wall cleaning happens again?

I notice that this poster was up to date and accurate when I first hung it on the wall.
I wonder if I should keep it or throw it out?

I notice that this brand new poster is VERY HIGH.
I wonder how I got it up there and how I am going to get it down without tearing it?
I notice that Trey in my 2nd period class is VERY TALL. (He's actually going to play basketball at West Point next year.)
I wonder what elementary school teachers do without tall children to help them with things like this?

1 comment:

driding22 said...

Elementay school teachers use step ladders and fall. In California it costs farmers 28 cents on the dollar for growing crops that require a ladder. So, if you pay your crew $10,000 in wages, you pay the State of California $2,800 for worker's compensation insurance. To cut down on costs they cut the trees shorter. They have special equipment that cuts the tops off of trees so the fruit is easier to pick. Or, they hire the Los Angeles Lakers to come harvest summer tree fruit.

Don