Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hardtack

THIS:
is hardtack. It is apparently what pioneers and civil war soldiers ate. I am making way too much of it for the youth to take on their pioneer trek this weekend. JD said he would help with the task but as soon as he found out the dough didn't taste like cookie dough he was finished helping. I'm not sure how the pioneers made this stuff without a kitchen aid. I guess if you were hungry enough you would eat it. George just wasn't THAT hungry when I offered it to him for breakfast this morning.

2 comments:

Marci said...

i keep gaining more and more respect for the pioneers. I was thinking about them a few nights ago while a storm was passing.... I'm pretty sure they didn't bring tornado shelters with them along the route. And if that is what they had to eat as a treat, I really need to stop my whining in life. Are you still thinking about going to Nauvoo this summer?

Chad Can Plan said...

It looks like pita bread. Is it at all related to pita bread? And, if so, did the pioneers and Civil War soldiers know how to make humus?